Saturday, October 17, 2009

a day of firsts

Today a friend and I went to a quilt show. I had never been to one before. Simply. Amazing. The photos I took will not do any of the quilts justice.

This is what we saw when we walked through the doors. It sort of made me gasp.
*********
Most of the quilts were "traditional" and had a "pattern" to them. Some were very non-traditional and had no rhyme nor reason to them. There were a couple that looked very much like a Georgia O'Keefe painting.

This one was HILARIOUS! It is titled "Road Kill". I guess it requires no explanation.
**********


I think the cubical look of these two is very cool.

***********


Although you can't see the detail in this picture, this quilt artist used "thread painting" techniques to achieve some pretty awesome details.
**********

This one was so bright and colorful and must have taken a million hours.
**********

Even though there are NO circles at all in this one, you still see them, don't you?
************
This quilt is the reason I came home with a Moda "jelly roll" and a few matching fat quarters.
*************


This one, called Sunny Side Up, must have a billion little squares. I know she must know some major rotary cutting shortcuts.
************

Though the red is a bit severe, I love the way this one looks like so many Victorian nosegays.
***********

All three of these quilts, plus a few more, must have been made in a class, as they are made with the same 12" square pattern. See if you can pick it out. The first one was my favorite.

*************

No comments:

Post a Comment